We are not sectarian.


So we have another chapter in the sectarian battle between Celtic and Rangers following a BBC report last night.



This story for me highlights two things.The first is no revelation there are Rangers supporters who are sectarian the second is that this reporting of songs to the authorities is like a slow creeping death to peoples free speech.


This may seem like a contradiction .But in the context of football it makes sense.Go along to any football match and you will hear things shouted and songs that will be offencive.But that is the nature of the game its all in the banter.If we were to ban all songs and chants that offend then we would watch football in silence.If we were to ban everything from the airwaves and tv or movies then again we would live in silence(which might not be a bad thing).I go along to the games and like to think I can control myself and behave but football supporters are passionate about there team and so I like to sing and shout does that make me sectarian .If the people who know me told me I was sectarian I would listen to them but not to some pundit on the tv or radio.


It is impossible to go through life and not be offended it is even more impossible to go through life and not be the offender even when you are not trying to you can offend people.My wife has often said that my face offends people so what chance do I have.


Leave people alone and grow some thicker skin or just ban supporters all together.

0 comments: