Emerging in Scotland.


I only recently found out that I was emerging.By that I mean that I knew I was going through some ch ages in the way I thought about God/Jesus and the church.But had no understanding of what those changes meant or how to manage those changes.

I understand that to emerge means to come forth to come out of to arise and all of those things were going on in me at the same time.I was emerging from a way of life that had more to do with church and everything surrounding church than it had to do with the message of Jesus.I was emerging from the disappointment of failed revival and messages of coming revival.

I was seeking something that would give some meaning to the message of the kingdom of God that Jesus left us something that would go beyond converts and church growth in fact church was leaving me depressed.I had some frustrating conversations with good friends and leaders they were frustrating because my language was one of condemnation for the church and frustration with what we were doing.

I have been able to find my way because of those close friends willingness to stick with me and walk with me on that journey.I have been able to come to some understanding of whats going on because together we have tried to stay faithful to God and the relationships that he put us in.

There is very little opportunity in Scotland to work this out in a safe place and trying to find some people that can help is difficult.But yet I find myself encouraged that God is taking us to a new place of blessing and challenge with him.There seems to be so much more grace about from others that makes it possible to get to where we are going.

I have found that its me who lacks the grace needed to stay in fellowship with those who are part of the church that I find it difficult to relate to .It is of great concern to me that this emerging journey makes me face up to some of the hurts of the past.And recently I have failed to be able to do that.
If we are to emerge and have the impact God wants from us it must be with grace for those who are happy and blessed to remain part of the church that sees no need to emerge or who even see it as a danger there needs to be amazing grace shown by all so that the fellowship of the saints remains secure.

I believe in reformation I believe that the emerging church is part of that reformation and I hope Scotland can see that change brings about the arrival of the kingdom of god in new and exciting ways .

4 comments:

10 September 2008 at 12:00 Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
13 September 2008 at 16:42 Anonymous said...

Hey Billy, cheers for your honesty. I've enjoyed reading your blogs here and on Urban expression since hearing you speak at their open day a while back. Though I love the church, I often ask questions of and struggle with it and it's encouraging hearing others who are also questioning and being honest about it. I also take heart from the fact that people outside of the student bubble are questioning and challenging what is generally taken for granted.
cheers!
Reuben

13 September 2008 at 16:45 Anonymous said...

sorry, meant to say people in this city and outside the student bubble!
Reuben

13 September 2008 at 18:07 billq said...

Hey Rueben,

I think I remember you from that day.Hope everything is going well for you.I still have some input with the guys from UE in Possil and they are all coming over to our church tommorow shoul be a ggod day