Parents night

I visited my son Luke school this week to speak with his teachers about his school work.Luke is 14 and is now in 3rd year at high school.He attends the same school that I went to as a kid and as I went there I thought about my time at school.

I hated high school and used all of my creative powers to find ways not to attend.I spent so much time and energy avoiding being educated I should have been given an A grade for it.The funny thing is that before I went to high school I was always in the top 1-3 pupils in my primary school.So it was nothing to do with being stupid but everything to do with attitude and friendships.It feels like the education system can only think about academic studies and has no place for those who show no interest in them.When it comes time to leave school kids must be prepared for the real world schools did not take that into account and the system stopped teachers with the imagination to help people like me from doing so.

I'm happy to say that has changed somewhat but they could still "do better" a phrase often found on my reports.

Luke is a smart boy and his teachers feel he is doing well at school but could "do better".I find it difficult not to say anything to them when they use this phrase but I resist for my sons sake.I don't want to make his life any more difficult as teachers can become bullies as well as other kids.

Luke will be able to go to college or university if he is pushed my problem is I don't know if pushing him is what I should do as a parent encourage him yes but make him miserable by being pushy I don't think I can do that.I know many guys who left school at the same time as me and they have went on to make a good ,life despite the lack of academic qualifications.School does no teach you to be a money maker or provider for your family life gives you the chance and then you have to take them.These guys that have made it are a great inspiration to me and I think schools could do better than have some people like them as role models/mentors to show young people how to make the most of the opportunity's that came there way.If kids don't show an interest in academic study why not give them the opportunity to see how people start there own business and build it up from nothing and make something that looks after them and there family.No harm to teachers but I don't remember one of them who inspired me.Then again maybe I WAS DIFFICULT

0 comments: